Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Working Hard In School

Today, a number of students in my school watched President Obama's speech to children, which originally aired yesterday morning.  I, myself, had the opportunity to watch his speech last night.  I'm still baffled by all the "hoopla" over this speech.  It could not have been more positive, inspiring and relevant to what our young people need to hear in these times.  I'm impressed that the leader of this country, like others before him, would take the time to share a few words of wisdom with those who, arguably, need it most. 

As I walked by the classrooms this morning and peered in, I noticed the students watching very intently.  There was no goofing off and not much movement.  There-in lies the lesson:  When one is saying something that young people feel are relevant to who they are and what they think, they listen and listen carefully.  It is no doubt in my mind, that hearing his speech changed the direction for some of the students at The Baltimore Talent Development High School.  I'm sure it also changed the direction of countless other young people who have also heard his words.  Kudos to our President and kudos to our young people who hear his words, make necessary change and take action. 

Teens don't always remember that they are on a life journey, one that will be full of ups and downs and that the the number of ups and downs is highly correlated with the decisions they make during their young years, particularly the teen years.  President Obama, in his speech, clearly and eloquently articulated "the plan"...what needs to be done to secure a better tomorrow....NO MATTER the situation, background or dilemma.  I wish all of our young people well.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Brenda. Your comment about how the students were sitting still and listening intently reminds me of my years in grade school. Every once in a while someone would get my full attention because they were delivering a message that was captivating and valuable. Those are the moments that I remember most and recalled throughout my life. Growth is probably one of the most uncomfortable transformations that one can go through. Some are resistant to it while others simply miss the essence of the process. On the other hand, when we are aware and present in the moment it’s a beautiful thing. We are witnessing a very special time in the growth of America, led by a person who I believe will prove to be one of the best to ever lead this country. We should all be paying close attention.

    Bobby Blackwell

    ReplyDelete