Thursday, January 14, 2010

Role Models??

Gilbert Arenas.  Chris Brown.  Tiger Woods.  Brittany Spears.  Rihanna.  Just a few of many.  All very famous and presumably wealthy individuals.  All living their lives in the public spotlight.  All having to endure their share of "life challenges".  All given, solicited and unsolicited, the responsiblilty of ROLE MODEL.  Is it fair?  Is it justified?  Is it needed?  Is it wanted?  Given recent national news stories regarding each of the above-named individuals, these seem to be fair questions.  Do their lives and behaviors and that of other equally public individuals influence the lives and behaviors of teens and young people?  The answer to that question is probably "sometimes".  As I walk in the midst of teens and young people, I try to seize the opportunity to learn more about how they think, what they think about and why they think what they think.  On this particular day, I decide to ask the question, "who are your role models"?

The answers received may be surprising to some.  My mom.  My grandmother.  My teacher.  My football coach.  My music teacher.  My brother.  My sister.  My next door neighbor.  My principal.  My friend.  It seems as if not all teens consider celebrities and the like their role models.  Although they may follow their lives and the twists and turns, they don't necessarily view these individuals as someone, as one teen put it, "to want to be like".  When asked why they didn't consider celebrities as role models, one teen replied, "cause they probably have problems just like us".  Another replied, " their lives don't seem real".  "The money is nice, but they act stupid sometimes", was another response.   "Why do they do things when they know people are watching" needed no return reply.  One surprising response, "maybe it's the adults who need role models and not us kids", left much to ponder.

As one who is rarely surprised by the insight of teens and young people, I believe they need to know and understand the following.  Role models, according to dictionary.com, are defined as persons whose behavior, example, or success is or can be emulated by others, especially by younger people.  Role models are good.  They are positive.  They are inspiring.  Their influence is endless.  They help teens figure out right from wrong, make good choices, develop self confidence, dream big and aspire large.  Role models care about the messages they send and the impact upon the receivers.  Role models are real and honest.  Real in their existence and honest in their position.  My challenge to teens is to figure out who is your role model?  Find someone you like and admire because of the good they demonstrate.  Find someone you trust that is selfless, giving and understanding.  Find someone you can talk to and know they will listen.  That person is your role model.  That person probably exists within your environment.  All you have to do is find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment